From 1775-1783, Gov. Jonathan Trumbull Sr. and the Council of Safety met more than 500 times at this small storehouse to plan Connecticut’s military, logistical, financial, and political actions during the American Revolution.
On September 6, 1781, Benedict Arnold’s forces attacked New London and Fort Griswold in Groton. The nearby home of Ebenezer Avery, himself severely wounded, served as a field hospital. It is said it took generations for the bloodstained floors to be worn away.
The Avery House is on the grounds of Ft. Griswold State Park, and administered by the Avery Memorial Association.
Merchant Christopher Leffingwell sided with the patriot cause, serving as a colonel in the Connecticut State Militia, and as a member of the Committee of Correspondence. Built in 1675, his house was probably enlarged to serve as a tavern, and was known for many years as the “Leffingwell Inn.”
The Leffingwell House Museum is open to the public for tours.
Nathaniel Shaw Jr. served as Connecticut’s Naval Agent, so throughout the Revolution the lavish Shaw Mansion served as headquarters for the state’s navy as well as sixty privateers. It was one of the few buildings to survive the burning of New London by Benedict Arnold in 1781. The Mansion is now the home of the New London County Historical Society.
The imposing monument in front of the Brooklyn Historical Society Museum commemorates Revolutionary War hero Israel Putnam, who was often credited for issuing the order, “Don’t fire until you see the whites of their eyes” at the Battle of Breed’s (Bunker) Hill.
This house had just two rooms when Samuel Huntington, president of the 2nd Continental Congress and a signer of the Declaration of Independence, was born here. Huntington also served as president of Congress under the Articles of Confederation, and was governor of Connecticut from 1786-1796. The Huntington Homestead Museum is open to the public.
From fiery sermons against English rule to pleas for parishioners to send donations to the people of blockaded Boston, Lebanon’s clergy helped push local residents to support independence. The current church was designed by Revolutionary War veteran and artist John Trumbull in 1804.
Established as a beacon in the early 1700s, New London Harbor Light was formally established as a lighthouse in 1759. Benedict Arnold landed his troops here prior to burning down the city in 1781. It is the fourth lighthouse recognized by George Washington when he enacted the 1789 Act for the Establishment and support of Lighthouse, Beacons, Buoys, and Public Piers.
The Trumbull Cemetery contains many examples by Obadiah Wheeling, considered the greatest of the rural carvers in the area.
856 Trumbull Highway, Lebanon, CT
PO Box 151, Lebanon, CT 06249
860-642-6579; fax 860-642-6583
The mission of the Lebanon Historical Society is to preserve and interpret all aspects of the history of Lebanon, from its earliest inhabitants to the present day, with a special emphasis on the role of Lebanon in the American Revolution.